We’re excited to announce EFN’s Spring Call for Submissions. As with all EFN calls, we’re focusing on promoting European Designers. If you consider yourself European (by birth, current address, heritage or for any other reason), we do too.
Spring: Capture that bubble of joy when you see the first signs that the long cold winter is coming to an end. Maybe it’s the little tips of crocuses pushing out from beneath the snow, or the almost black of wet bark as seen through a thick, soft fog.
Throughout Europe and our varied climates the signs of Spring may be different, but that excitement of birds and buds waking after the cold and the light carefree feeling of going outside without a heavy coat; that’s what we’re after.
Tell us what excites you, what brings you joy. Let us see it in your inspiration for your design. Think of small knits appropriate for Spring and its transitional temperatures; often chilly mornings and the hope of warmer days. Light wraps and layers, accessories, novelties, whimsies. Mini mitts? Scarflettes? Small bags? Perhaps something frivolous? Certainly joyful. Spring greens? Purple? Yellow? Show us an unusual color combination or a unique construction. Be playful, have fun and be courageous.
90% of individual pattern proceeds will go to the designer. The remaining 10% will help EFN to further promote European knitting and related fiber arts and education. EFN will be sponsoring a monthly Knit-a-long for each of the selected patterns. When the monthly KAL kicks off, the individual pattern for that month will be available as a pdf download. Beginning in December 2012, the entire collection of 12 patterns will be available as a bound calendar with photographs of the winning knits complete with the written pattern. 90% of collection sales will be split evenly among the 12 designers. Designers will be paid monthly to their personal Paypal account.
Submit a sketch, clear picture of the swatch and written description of your pattern by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 10, 2011.
Please be sure to include the country you represent and tell us about the inspiration for your design as well as your mailing address, telephone number and email address. A winning submission will be attractive and have a compelling story.
Submissions are due by 10 December 10. We will reply via email to all designers during the following week.
Finished projects and completed patterns are due by 15 January. If English is not your first language, not to worry. We will provide proofreading and tech editing of the final pattern.
All pattern rights revert back to the designer six months after publication, though EFN will continue to make the pattern available within the collection and as an individual pattern with 90% of proceeds of collection sales split evenly between designers and 90% of individual pattern sales being paid monthly to the individual designer.